Saturday, May 20, 2006

North Carolina 2006




Wow! North Carolina was beautiful. The weather was great, the food stupendous, and the fellowship even better.

Their "mountains" were hills compared to the Rockies we have in our backyard here in BC. But the foliage was so different. There were very few evergreens but so many deciduous trees that all you could see driving down the freeway was GREEN. Of couse, it's not as suburbanized as it is here on the west coast. I like like that. The trees, I mean.

The food was very good. Fried okra, pineapple casserole, grits, biscuits and gravy, onion casserole, salmon (yes, even in the east), banana pudding torte (for lack of a better name). If I ate like that all the time I would easily be well over 200 lbs. Anyway, it was nice not to have to cook for a week.

And I love to travel. Part of the fun for me is getting there. B doesn't like it, though. Air travel makes him sick. I know the kids really enjoyed the whole trip. They met a lot of their friends and met many new ones too. As a matter of fact, even I saw people I had not seen since Otter Lake over 25 years ago!

JM and T were good to put us up the last day. We stayed in their guest house which was just like a bed and breakfast. Deluxe. They had picked us up at the airport before the conference and brought us back after. A two hour trip each way. How could we not take them out to eat on the last day at a Mexican restaurant? That too was very authentic. For me anyway. It was very much like California Mexican food. Good.

Well, I finished H's socks. But not sure if she really likes them. Maybe she would rather have a sweater?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, those aren;t the rocky mountains, its the coastal mountain range!! lora

knitterykate said...

oops! you're right. I guess I have to go back to school.