Thursday, June 01, 2006

Gardening


I'm not much of a gardener. My repertouire includes weeding and getting after the kids to mow the lawn. Plants die on me. Especially annuals. I've given up on getting a garden in tip-top shape and only rely on perennials. At least they give me a second chance. So was I thrilled to find periwinkle in my front yard when we moved in? Yesssss! There's not a lot of upkeep on those guys. All you do is make sure the weeds don't take over for the first little while and then they think that they are the weeds and won't let anything else grow! My kind of weed. And the flowers they produce are my very favorite color--periwinkle, of course. Now, the back yard is another story. There is absolutely nothing but grass there. And unless someone comes and surreptitiously plants some trees and shrubs, it's going to stay that way for a loooong time. Well, Daniel?

3 comments:

Kedge said...

I'm always uncertain about 'you and I/me' I try to finish out the sentence in my head and keep my brain in front of my tongue when it occurs. (hard enough to do on a regular basis) How about 'irregardless'? Or my favorite Bush-ism; Nucular?

Jailgy said...

Is that your picture? It is a nice plant. Ta described it to me one day years ago as a flower that she liked so, to encourage her interest in gardening, I looked for and finally found some at a nursery. I had no where to put it, though, so I gave it to Becky. It has since taken over her side yard and is well on its way to taking over the front planters as well. Ta still has no interest in gardening, but En is developing one.

knitterykate said...

Yes, this is a pic from my front yard. The border to my front porch is covered with this plant.