Saturday, May 27, 2006

Food--Carolina Style


When we were in North Carolina we enjoyed so many foods that we do not eat here on the west coast. I mean, this food will put the pounds on! IN FACT IT DID! (much to my chagrin.) For breakfast they start you out with fruit and juice. Fair enough. Then you get your "grits". Since I didn't know what that was I had to try it. (Think: course Cream of Wheat.) But the waitress suggested cheese because that's the way she liked it. Well, I don't. I would rather have butter and sugar on my "Cream of Wheat". But, of course, I didn't know that that was what it was. Enough of porridge. Next they bring out the biscuits and gravy. Not knowing what that was I had to try that too. Guess what? It's buscuits and gravy. NEXT you get your eggs and sausage and bacon too, if you want. Swallow it all down with good old perked coffee and you've got your authentic "down south breakfast". Not to be indulged in very often. I'd say, once every 25 years or so.

At the conference we enjoyed some more "down home cooking". The staff was so generous that when I jokingly asked for a recipe she ran and got it for me. Try this in your kitchen:

PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE
  1. 6 cans of crushed pineapple
  2. 1 gal sugar
  3. 1/2 cup of Vanilla
  4. 1 & 1/2 quarts of milk
  5. 2 quarts of eggs
  6. 2 cups of butter
  7. 1 & 1/2 gallons of broken bread crumbs

Last thing before baking, mix bread crumbs with butter and spread on top of mixture.

Makes 6-7 200 pans

You can break this down into halfs or thirds.

(Does anyone want to try? It would be more manageable for 12 servings. I really liked this. It would go well with a baked ham for a holiday dinner.)

4 comments:

SAJ said...

a GALLON of sugar!

Anonymous said...

Talking about food...we had a blast @ the Luau! mom & beck must have made 2 million shishkebabs. Jacobsen girls came early to help(good training) and we pulled legs and shells off four pounds shrimp for coconut style, YUM. Daniel tried to BBQ a stick, but deep fried is better, of course. 35 people!

Jailgy said...

I tried this for All-day-meeting! Even dividing it by 4 made three casseroles. I don't know what it is supposed to look like but it did taste good. I did not use all the sugar, that scared me. I used egg beaters because I didn't know how to measure eggs otherwise, so I used half and half to make up for it. A lot of people liked it, Becky especially. I took two casseroles to meeting and sent the remainders home with Becky. I think I will try draining the pineapple and cooking the juice with some of the sugar before mixing it all up. Maybe graham cracker crumbs or cubed pieces of day old raisin bread instead of bread crumbs. They were kind of bland, so I had mixed some of the sugar with them, too. Still did not use all the sugar called for, maybe 3 cups not 4. Looking forward to tweaking this recipe.

knitterykate said...

Try this instead:

1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
3 slices white bread, cut into cubes
6 tablespoons butter

I got this from www.allrecipes.com It looks very similar but with more manageable portions.

P.S. How did you figure out the can size for the pineapple?