Tuesday, May 23, 2006

BORDER CROSSING BLUES

Since we live seven miles from the US/Canadian border on the Canadian side we often go over to the US to get gas. Monday was a holiday here in Canada and we thought we would go get gas as well as go to the Outlet Mall. Well. When we got to the border we had no trouble crossing but looking at the other side we realized it would not be so easy getting back. Already at 1:00 there were cars backed up for miles trying to get back into Canada. So what to do? Go about what we were planning to do and then try to get home. We went from one border crossing to another to another to see if they were less crowded and decided to give up and have a pizza. That was a pretty good consolation. I really don't mind waiting in line because I usually bring my knitting with me. What I don't like is the cars that forge their way ahead of you because they are more important and need to get back to Canada faster than you do! They often stop at the duty free which lets them bypass a lot of cars, buy a pack of gum, hop back into their cars and go to the head of the line. I've often thought they should make the duty free a mile further from the border to discourage line jumpers. But I suppose that would discourage duty-free shopping as well.
BTW I paid no duty on the shirts I bought at the Outlet Mall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check Border Wait Times before you go. It won't make the wait time shorter, but you won't be surprised.

knitterykate said...

Thanks a bunch!

ioi said...

LOL! You could buy a pack of gum too you know. :) Actually, when the line is really bad there's a pretty bad line-up getting back into the line. At least when you're heading south I've discovered.