Saturday, December 19, 2015

"Why I Don't Like Variegated Yarn" or "Why Socks Are an Option"

December's Sweater
I liked it at the store while it was in the skein and when I started to knit with it but when I laid it out to take a picture I realized why I don't knit sweaters with variegated yarn. See if you agree. Firstly, the colors pooled. By that I mean instead of having the color evenly distributed throughout the garment the color all gathered in one spot. It makes the project look like something that was thrown together somehow. Secondly, it really does look homemade. Just like someone really didn't put much thought into the thing. And I didn't. At least it did a bit of striping and I like stripes. Just not jagged ones.



Now, look at the sleeves. They are not as bad looking as the body of the sweater. The number of stitches on the sleeves is about the same number that I would cast on for some Hiking Socks. So, maybe there is some redemption, after all. Make socks. Let that be a lesson learned. But for now, it goes into the cedar chest to await some "lucky" recipient because I'm sure not taking out or ripping back! Nope.


No comments: