Monday, December 28, 2015

I have a Goal

I had a conversation with myself. It's one I have a lot and it turns into an argument. At least, one side turns and walks away and doesn't want to discuss things anymore. The other side, well, let's just say, gets her way. And I know which side is winning the war. 

I start projects. I start many projects. I get going on something because I see someone else has made a beautiful object and I think, "I can do it too! In fact, I have just the yarn to do it." And off I go. Until the next project captures my attention. Meanwhile, the first project gets put aside in favor of the new. Then they all start to build up.

A year ago I bought a pattern and yarn to make the "Grace" sweater. Before I start that sweater (yes, I've held back!) I told myself that I needed to finish up a few WIPs. Well, a few WIPs turns into many as I clean out my cupboards and drawers. I said this year, 2015, would be a year of finishing. And it has been. I've finished socks, sweaters, cowls, mittens and scarves! Plural! Many! But there are still many more projects to finish. So it looks as if the year 2016 will be a year of finishing as well. I have the projects lined up on my Ravelry page with WIPs first. One by one they will be picked off. 

There are helps to this solution. In fact, I know exactly what to do.

1. Do not go into yarn stores or into the department of the store that sells yarn. 
2. Do not surf Ravelry. 
3. Stare at your WIPs listed on Ravelry 'til you get inspired. Yes, they will inspire you again as they once did long ago.
4. Delete all "friends" on Instagram that show pictures of finished and half finished projects. They are enablers. 
5. Pick up and finish a WIP UNTIL IT IS DONE!!!!
6. Knit 25 hours a day. I kid, but you know what I mean. 

The tide has turned in this war. 

In 2013 I started a "Temperature" Scarf where every row or two correlated to a day temperature wise. Every five degree increment was knit in a different color. Initially, I cast on about 45 stitches and knit two rows of garter for every day. 'Round about April I lost impetus. I hate garter stitch and this was going so slowly. I still kept track of the temperature in a little calendar I kept by my family room chair. At the end of the year the project had disappeared into the vast morass of my sewing and craft room. Two days ago I bought it out to the light and ripped it out! I decided I liked stockinette stitch better for this project and was going to make it work. So, in the last two days I've been able to work three and a half months worth of temperatures! Way to go! At this rate this should be done by the end of the week. Or year. Which ever comes first.

One down, 499 to go. Fingers crossed. 


No comments: