Saturday, September 30, 2006

Britain, Bookstores and Buses

We've been to Europe once and it was a very short trip. We left the kids at home with California Gramma and took off for a week to Great Britain searching bookstores for used out of print Christian books. We didn't find many but saw quite a bit of the island by train. I fell in love with the beautiful country-side with stately sea-side castles, sheep and shepherds wandering the back streets of lonely villages, woolen mills, red double-decker buses, quaint old-fashioned musty hotels from the nineteenth century that cost an arm and a leg, the black taxi cabs of Edinbourgh, huge, busy round-abouts that scared me silly only because I wasn't used to the speed used to get around them, tea at a little old lady's totally locked up home (a key in EVERY door!) with a country-city garden, and a bookstore in the basement of well maintained upper class home. Ironically enough, B got the biggest find of used books ever, the week after we got home. I would love to go back.

5 comments:

SAJ said...

your post makes me want to travel too!

ioi said...

When was this trip?

Anonymous said...

its was a long time ago...like 12 yrs or something...we almost got kidnapped and had to call the cops and tom cried because he couldn't go on the airplane and gramma let us eat as much ice cream as we wanted to shut us up...yah it was awhile ago.

Anonymous said...

hey what happened to your links to other ppls blogs? aunt keren's are gone too.

Gramma said...

I remember we lasted from Sunday until Thursday...then when I discovered T riding up and down on the garage door I knew something swift and sure had to be meted out. The next week, said young man,in an aside to me, whispered "My Dan spank harder than you can."