Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cheaters

I don't cheat. At least I try not to. But when it comes to cooking, I cheat. I am so lazy. I use to make my own bread. I even ground the wheat! For breakfast Bruce just wanted toast and juice. So I gave him fresh homemade whole wheat bread and fresh squeezed orange juice. Then I had kids. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Yes, that fast. Four kids in less than four years. It was all I could do to keep treading water.

Last week was Heidi's birthday. and we had planned on going out to dinner. (I had asked her what she wanted - to eat out or have a homemade Greek dinner. She said, "whatever is easiest". Ha Ha Ha Ha! Choke and splutter.) Well, we went to an Indian restaurant that Bruce and I had been eyeing since last summer. It was well worth the wait. Delish! There was even leftovers for the next day.

Then, for Heidi's cake Bruce wanted to stop at Save-on on the way home and get the family favorite. (Sort of a last birthday gift) The cake we wanted was $21! Shock. So, needless to say, we did not get it.  That left Heidi without a cake. It was a Tuxedo Cake - really good too.

The day after her birthday I took out this from the cupboard.
1st cheat.

German chocolate cake. Betty Crocker too! Wow! Right up my alley. (I use to make her recipe from scratch.)
I knew I had cream cheese (cheat 2) to make frosting and wondered if I could incorporate pecans and coconut into that and somehow make an authentic-like frosting. Hmm. No pecans. 

Cheat 3: almonds



We had those in the cupboard.

I was getting lazier by the minute...Having been to Wal Mart to pick up some mineral oil I happened to go by (read: search for) the icing. Cream cheese frosting! And it's Betty Crocker too! I think I'll try that.
Cheat 4:


So into the oven the batter goes and comes out looking like this:


Not bad. But when I turn it over it crumbles a bit. 


Not a problem because I would use it for the bottom layer. I patched it together and so really, no cheat there.


 Almost done.


Almond cream cheese frosting on a German Chocolate cake. Voila!


With Candles. Cheat 5:  2+7=27, right?



I'm so lame, but she loved it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need another post. ~Janet