Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Gramma's Mittens



My Gramma taught me many things. She taught me how to make an apple pie from scratch and she taught me how to make a delicious roast from onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup and a roll of tin foil. But the most useful thing she taught me was how to knit. My Gramma made tons of mittens. The neighbor children would pass by her front porch and Granpa would look for a child without proper hand protection and call him over for a pair of "Gramma's Mittens". So in the early 70's Gramma taught me how to do it myself. My very first project was a pair of mittens for a Mennonite friend who was one of seven or eight children and only had mismatched mittens to wear. I had enough yarn left over to make myself a pair and I still have them! I can't believe they are not long gone. I have no idea how they made it this far in my life - from Pennsylvania to California to Canada. Over 40 years! But they have made it and I still use them. My girls are always clamoring for new mittens or socks or finger-less mitts and I often give them the pair fresh off the needles but I haven't parted with these old faithful yet. And I don't think I will.

Not only have the mittens made it to the 21st century so has the instruction book she and I used! It was falling apart back then but with the help of some sticky adhesive clear plastic we managed to salvage the book for posterity. Yes, I think it may last at least another 40 years.


So when someone needs a pair of mittens out comes "the book". I usually follow the instructions for 2 needles but just noticed last week that you could use 4 needles and knit in the round. Having tried knitting this pattern on four needles I think I prefer it. There's no messy seaming up to do at the end and when you put in that last stitch at the tip you are done... unless someone's fingers are longer than you thought.

Thankfully, there's no side seam to take out.

No comments: