Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tulips!


I've been sick...again. It feels like the same cold I had a month ago. It must be making the rounds again. To get back to health again I decided to take it easy. Doing nothing extra. No more than I have to.

Last night Gramma C came over and brought some cheer! Beautiful tulips! Spring has got to be around the corner. As soon as Bruce saw them he told me to put corn starch in the water. Huh? Yep. He said it makes them stand straight up. I tried it and it really works. The stems had started to droop just a little since I wasn't able to get them in water right away. But this morning I found them straight as soldiers on guard.

Ice cream helps too. Moral support only.

6 comments:

Sjo said...

What beautiful flowers! Mine are just poking out of the ground. That's a cool tip about the cornstarch, how much did you use??

The Chatty Housewife said...

That is such a cool tip! I wonder where he heard that one? He really surprises me sometimes. Glad you are starting to feel better and it was nice to see you tonight. On Lord's Day B was going stir-crazy (or some kind of crazy anyways) without you. :)

Gramma said...

Tulips are funny. Did you know that they will "grow" when they are cut and put in water? Check their length. You will be very surprised at what happens overnight.

LeAnne said...

if you want to sound really plant savvy you should have explained the whole gas thing with tulips :)

knitterykate said...

The "whole gas thing" is a warning not to put your tulips and any other flower together. Tulips emit a gas that will cause other flowers to wilt and to die. Unless, of course, you soak your tulips in corn starch for about 20 minutes first.

SJo - I think I put in about a tablespoon of corn starch in a quart of tepid water.

Jailgy said...

I wonder if that "gas" is ethylene. That is the plant hormone that speeds and encourages ripening. I'm guessing cut tulips "think" they are starving and must hurry and set seed so they give off the gas. Corn starch (or 7up even) would tell them they don't have to 'cause there is plenty of food. Hmmm. I must think about that.