Monday, February 18, 2008

Memory Lane

Remember Cessy's in downtown San Leandro? They had the most delicious (and most expensive) sandwiches. What a treat to take a lunch break and splurge...on a sandwich? Yep, they were worth it. Because I'm remembering 30 years ago my recollections may not be accurate. But I do try to replicate one of their sandwiches in my own kitchen. It's a variation on my personal all time favorite-tomato with mayonaise, salt and pepper. Cessy's had all kinds of add on's to their vegetarian. I remember them slicing the beautifully ripe (only in California!) avocado right on a slice of whole wheat bread. They would add cheese, maybe, and then top the whole thing with a wig of alfalfa sprouts.

Fresh spinach does it for me. Now I feel healthy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU FORGOT THE ONION,OLIVES AND POSSIBLY TURKEY....I USED TO LOVE THOSE SANDWICHES TOOK B THERE BUT HE WASN'T IMPRESSED.COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONIONS AND OLIVES POSSIBLY THE AVOCADOS. I THINK THE TRICK WAS THE MULTIPLE GRAIN WHEAT BREAD (FRESH) YUM LOTS OF LOVE CHUGGY

Anonymous said...

I'm so ready for one of those, looks yummmmmy... maybe toast the bread tho

grandma c

Kimberley said...

MMMM That avocado sandwich looks FABULOUS!! I love avocado!

Sjo said...

Avocado on a sandwich, that is some thing I will have to try!! It looks delicious!

SAJ said...

I was probably only a little kid BUT I totally remember the spouts and avocado! I think I didn't like sprouts then but I sure do now!

Gramma said...

Yes, it was just across from SF Federal and down the street from our favorite haunt: Fabric Lane. I remember all the peppery sprouts and how noble we all felt when we left because we ate healthy!

The Chatty Housewife said...

Mmmm, that looks delish. I should try that someday.

LeAnne said...

you should make me lunch sometime.

Jailgy said...

I think I went there twice, Da was not impressed either, Chuggy. Must be a girl thing.

Anonymous said...

You should live 6 or 7 miles from Greg and Mandy, like I do. They have a huge avacado tree in their backyard!! Joyce