Saturday, January 20, 2007

Squares


Remember this? I finally got around to my mother's suggestion. As she finishes her knitting projects she uses her left over yarn to make woven squares. She then sews the squares together to make a blanket. Because they don't match, the blanket ends up looking like a patchwork quilt. Maybe a patchwork crazy quilt would be a better discription.

When we lived in Hawaii in the 50's and 60's we use to occupy our time with watching Mom endlessly weave on a tiny loom called a Weave-It. It wasn't til I grew older that I remembered those tiny looms that we had. It turns out there were quite a few lying around the house. Where there are now I really don't know. Perhaps Jaigy has one. She use to have at least two until I "stole" one. (I knew she really didn't need two. After all, she only has two hands, although sometimes it seems you need more than two hands when working on one of these things.) I suppose Mom was hoping that we would all get interested in the craft but, alas, none of us really did until we grew up and moved away. Since obtaining a loom I have woven enough squares to put together several blankets. All the squares for each blanket are made of the same yarn. But when I surveyed my growing stash of left over project yarn I remembered Mom's scrap woven blanket. She reminded me of it when she saw Felix playing with the "Monet" yarn. "That would make pretty squares," she said. I agree. So here we go. It will take a long time to finish the project (each square takes about 10-15 minutes to weave) and I still like to knit.

6 comments:

Jailgy said...

I found two looms, a tiny, 2 inch one (probably good for traveling) and one with two pins missing (probably good for nothing). They were in the third place I looked. When did you borrow that one from jaigy? and who is jaigy anyway?

Gramma said...

Glad you are using up the yarn leftovers. Sometimes I really feel like weaving...other times I like to knit...still other times I like to smock...and sometimes I like to read recipe books.

Anonymous said...

JLG, I thing TLG has the pink one.

I'm like you Gramma, except for the recipe and smocking part. Substitute x-stich and crochet.

Knitterykate

The Chatty Housewife said...

I think the squares in the top of your picture are great! In fact I would love to start a blanket using bright colors like those, I guess I will have to go ahead and borrow an extra Weave-it from HC. Those bright yarns must have longer sections of color to create the plaid look. Some of the squares end up looking like tweed, which is so pretty, but not as eye catching as all the designs the colors in the top of the picture created. They will look great as a blanket! One question, what color of yarn do you stitch them all together with? :)

SAJ said...

I had one of those when I was little. I think it may be squirreled away in one of my mom's storage sheds.

knitterykate said...

Good question, TCH. If I remember properly Gramma used the long tail of the square to sew it to the next one and "sew" on.